Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I had dirty thoughts about my '87 Supra tonight

Today I worked at my job where I get paid to work and so I work.
Then I went and had the world's fastest dinner at my mom's. I felt so bad leaving so early. It was like a dine n' dash. I left a fiver on the table, do you think that's enough? I kid.
Made it over to Po's new, swank pad (that smelled like chai tea) and she and I and Coco and Squishy and Skyhammer discussed "Flowers for Algernon". It did provoke some good conversation and I was so pleased to see everyone again. Plus I had two pieces of cake. Moreover? Here is the interesting thing that happened to me yesterday at run club.
We had a speaker before we went out for our run: she was a life coach or personal coach or goal coach or something. Hey, she had a good spiel. Who doesn't want to realize their full potential? Who doesn't want to be motivated and encouraged and pushed? And she had really cool boots.
But at one point she said "Who's made a list of their goals for 2009?" and say a third or half the people put up their hands. And then she said "Who still wants to make a list of their goals for 2009?" and more people put up their hands.
I didn't raise my hand for either.
I don't have goals.
I have ideas that would be nice if they were to happen.
It'd be nice to go to Boston and I've paid for my ticket and my registration and the hotel is booked. What happens between 10:25 on this random Wednesday night and the gun going off on Monday, April 20th is anyone's guess.
I don't have goals.
It's right here, and it's right now, baby. And I'm enjoying that. I rocked it last night for 25 minutes of heart pounding, gasping glory. I was keyed up tonight hanging out with some of the most brilliant and interesting people I know and having awesome conversation (so much so, that I was able to upgrade from high fives to hugs by the time the night was out). I'm having fun listening to Daft Punk and blogging right now and, if I wake up tomorrow and I'm still alive, I'll have a good day doing the things that come my way.
Yeah.
The other thing that happened was that I pulled up to my mom's place and put my car in park to get out and read the parking sign and, satisfied that I was pretty safe within the regulations (uh, having been fucking towed before) I turned my car off. And the guy in the BMW behind me said, "That's a fantastic park job" and I seethed and made for "the club" to smash his headlights in because, well, that's how I roll and instead I gave a wry grin, started up the car, pulled out of the space and executed a brilliant feat of parallel (re) parking and then then motioned for him to roll down his window and stuck my tongue down his throat and he reached for me and muttered something about being married but really that didn't happen except for the beautiful parking job, the point being that he was right and my park job was shit, but I corrected it because bad parking is the sign of the devil.
Night.

5 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

Ha ha ha. Love the tongue bit.

judith said...

Ha ha, knew you would M...

Good for you not having goals... live in the moment, and at that moment you were thinking how good you'd look in those boots kicking that BMW guys tail lights in.

Why do motivational speakers think what motivates them will motivate everyone else? They've never met my husband.

OceanCruiserWannabe said...

A few things:

Toyota Supras are kewl!

The day I stop having goals will be the day I die.

The tongue down the throat thing almost gave me a hard on. Bollox, did I just say that out loud? :-P

Bad parking is indeed the sign of the devil.

You do make me larf :-)

Why are all the women I like already spoken for and/or live thousands of miles away? (rhetorical)

Duder said...

I like just throwing random stuff out there to see if anyone's paying attention. It used to confuse the hell out of Ex Work Husband (but that's okay cause he used to always move my coffee cup around so I thought I was losing my mind).

judith said...

I've thought about this a bit more this morning... since I didn't go to work today. I'm not saying don't have goals... we all have goals everyday. "I will get out of bed... to go pee in the morning..."

You have a goal... going to Boston is huge in my book. I know someone who sets goals and they would rather financially hurt themselves rather than admit that goal was unobtainable. To me that's not good. Shit happens and we have to adjust our goals. So we have to live in the moment. Tell ourselves at the moment this is my goal in 24 hours that goal could be adjusted to fit that day.

Are motivational speakers just in it for the ego stroking?