Saturday, October 22, 2011

Race day

Michael and I were both relatively calm considering: a) we were running one of the Big Five marathons and that b) it was going to be the largest we'd ever participated in.
We were seeded in Corral B and we got there a little too late and I swear we made it into that corral with maybe five minutes to spare before the gun went off.  People were shoving me.  It reminded me of the Vancouver Sun Run, except all these bastards were about to run 26.2 miles.  I looked behind me and all I could see was a sea of people forever.  I can't imagine would it would be like to be in the general registration area.  It was just intense.  We could see the start line and were pretty nicely situated, but it still took maybe two minutes just to get to the start line.
It was hot (or for me, at least).  We counted down and I kissed Michael and wished him good luck and we were off.  I kept up with him for a while but it was hard to stick together with the crowd being so dense and Michael is faster than me and I actually did hold back a bit because I tend to go out too fast and because it was hot.  I was sweating within the first mile.
It was nuts.  It reminded me of Boston with the streets lined with people screaming the runners on.  Blaring music.  Bleachers.  Signs.  Flags.  It was amazing and overwhelming.  For the second time I regretted not having my name on my shirt because these people wanted to know you, to cheer for you, to encourage you.  It was incredible. 
The aid stations were massive. They were carpeted in discarded Gatorade and water cups and they seemed to last forever.  The volunteers were excellent.
During our Saturday afternoon run we saw everyone working to put up tents and fencing and tables and I don't know what it takes to orchestrate the accommodation of 40+ thousand runners, but the Chicago marathon pulled it off seamlessly.  It was meticulously and perfectly run and I am just so incredibly grateful to all the people that worked so hard and tirelessly to make it such a streamlined and well-organized event.  I ran out of water after about an hour and I relied on the aid stations and the impromptu garden hoses for the duration. 
And the crowds.  We ran through different neighbourhoods and there were bands and fans and spectators and just when you thought there was a bit of a lull you would turn a corner and people were peering over overpasses and standing on the cross sections of bridges.  It was phenomenal.
Some guy behind me said "Go Canada!" and I turned back and said thanks and he was from Wisconsin and it was just random. I was wearing a shirt that was pretty subtle, but had maple leafs on it and I think it said "Canada" on one of the short sleeves.  A couple of Canadians passed me and said hey, and I tried to acknowledge everyone that cheered for me/Canada on the course.  One woman even wished me a happy Thanksgiving which was pretty awesome because I can't remember the last Thanksgiving that I've spent with my family since I'm always running that weekend.
The heat was a bit problematic for me.  I think I also under trained a bit.  But overall I was satisfied with my time.
Came around the final corner on the course and saw a couple of people that were in distress but were receiving help.  I later found out that a fireman roughly my age died near the finish and I'm quite sure I ran past him.  It's a weird scene.  You don't know.  Maybe you've got a heart problem.  Maybe you were pushing too hard at the end.
After the race was done I just kept thinking about this guy's family.  Waiting for him to cross.  Waiting for him at their designated meeting area.  It was sad and it cast a pall on the day.  You never want to see or hear that, but it's statistically likely to happen with that many people.
I crossed the finish.  Grabbed a medal and some food and a beer (seriously: they were handing them out) and met up with some fellow NSAers and Michael.
I did my usual 3:39 and change.  Michael was 3:13.  It wasn't a PB for either of us, but we both enjoyed it and it was nice to see some North Van faces at the end.
I got a sunburn.
Then we tried to nap but couldn't.  And then went for coffee. And then met up with a bunch of North Shore people for dinner.

1 comment:

judith said...

You just never know how your day is going to turn out. That's sad. Jody had a co-worker killed on the job a couple of weeks ago, freak accident. But could have easily been him because he does the same job as this guy. When it's time to go, it's time to go.