Monday, September 26, 2011

Safeway angry letter

I do so love writing angry letters.  Here is the most recent edition.  And yes, I understand that I bear no small similarity to Roger Greenberg from the movie "Greenberg" and I am okay with that.

To Whom it May Concern,

I live in North Vancouver.  I have quite studiously avoided shopping at your stores because of your incredibly uncompetitive prices and your rather hit-and-miss customer service.  Until recently I have done my shopping almost exclusively at Extra Foods on Lonsdale because it’s affordable, and because I have had an almost perfect seller/customer relationship with them.  Today’s incident, however, does bear mention and I thought I would share it with you, as I will also be sharing it with my friends and family. 
I stopped into your store at 13th and Lonsdale today to pick up some dairy products.  I got in line after a woman that was seemingly an off-duty Safeway cashier given the dialogue that she had struck up with the current cashier regarding shift schedules.  As I waited to have my items rung through I noticed the cashier was only ringing through approximately 50 – 70% of the items of her co-worker.  No small portion of items skipped the scanner and were placed into the “customer’s” bag.  As though this wasn’t enough, the customer then advised the cashier “Can you please make it around $50?”, which I interpreted to mean that the cashier was to adjust the bill accordingly.

The cashier then proceeded to ring my items through and they were, as usual, overpriced.  She did not ask for my Safeway Card and I had to prompt her.  Oddly, none of my items mysteriously jumped over the scanner and landed into my bag.  She gave me my adjusted total and I paid with a credit card.  During this interaction the cashier said next to nothing to me.  I inserted my card into the slot, retrieved it and waited for the typical “have a good afternoon Ms. R-“ and even that wasn’t forthcoming.  I took my receipt and put it in my bag and paused, and it was after this prolonged period that she wished me a good afternoon.

Undoubtedly you can see that no small amount of transgressions occurred here.  And I understand (and agree) that employees and their families receive a discount on their purchases.  But one would think that that would be a percentage taken off the total bill, and not a plan in which one was able to pick and choose what they paid for.  And furthermore: I don’t care if your employees are ripping you off as a way to get back at you for unfriendly labour practices.  But your prices are high (just Wiki yourself) and it really does rather rot my socks when your employees are getting a five fingered discount while I get bent over the check out scanner.

I look forward to your response.

No comments: