Monday, September 26, 2011

I miss my cheap chick peas

The Extra Foods that was a 90 second walk from my apartment has closed.  It is going to be torn down and then rebuilt: but with an amazing amount of condominiums on top of it, and some townhouses too.  Basically I will never be able to sell my place ever, and I am going to be a bachelor until sometime in my mid-fifties.  Ha ha, who I am kidding?  I should start stockpiling cats now.
Anyways, I hate Safeway because they're bastards.  I get vigorously rogered every time I go into that sodding store and so I've taken to shopping at the local fruit and veg place and am routinely kicking myself for not doing this sooner.  I bought three huge bags of produce there last weekend for $22 and I'm still trying to get through it all.  I do, however, have to buy my dairy at Safeway and so I went in there today to do just that and here is what happened.  And yes, I realize that this would be but a minor nuisance to someone with a 50 hour work week that had to get in and out and get dinner on the table for a family of four, but because I live the life of Riley I was able to soak it all in and drink wine and blog about it later.  As one does.
So, I clearly pick the wrong line up.  It's something I'm rather adept at.  The woman in front of me is maybe in her early forties.  The ridden hard and put away wet kind, but I spied wedding rings and so there's likely a lucky Mr. in the picture that she was going home to.  At any rate, she's jawing off to the cashier in such a manner that I'm guessing that she's actually a cashier at Safeway as well.  The woman ringing her through was a bit rough around the edges as well, and really didn't seem to be in much of hurry, conversing with her mate as she flipped through the latest offering of "US" or "In Touch" or something equally intellectual. 
Am I being judgemental?   Yes.  It's what I do.
And this is what started to happen. I'm watching the cashier scan her coworkers' items through and she has a failure rate between 30 and 50%.  A couple of items made it across the scanner, and then it was one made it, and one skipped it, and one made it, and one went into the bag.
I will interject here that at one time, being a Safeway cashier was somewhat lucrative.  Perhaps they were unionized?  I'm not sure, but the pay and the benefits were good and then management busted them all down to part time to get around paying extended health care and all the other brilliant things that corporations do to increase their bottom line.  I get it.  I used to work for Maersk and one of their logos was "Our equipment is our number one asset" or something to that extent.  Well, the fucking shipping containers weren't working overtime every day - unpaid - to get the financial statements out on time now, were they?
Back to the story.
As though the lackadaisical way in which this cashier rang her mate through wasn't generous enough, the woman actually said to her "Could you make it around $50?".
Yeah.  I'm standing three feet from her.  Um, could you make mine around $10?  I get that you don't get paid a lot and that you don't have any loyalty to your company but heretofore I thought that I was getting heinously abused because maybe... Safeway donated a lot to charity.  Or perhaps they had a magnificent gain sharing program.  Not so much.  It appears that people that work there get to eat for half price.  Neat trick.
And again: I understand if you're trying to right a perceived wrong in your mind by doing this?  But when I right my perceived wrongs?  I do it surreptitiously.  I hide my apathy and my bitter mistrust.  No one's the wiser.  Good mornings to everyone!
When you give your buddy a 50% discount as I watch you're not just fucking Safeway, you're fucking me.
And nobody fucks with the Jesus.

No comments: