Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I want one

When my mom and I were at Granville Island we checked out this exhibit. It made me really happy to see a dialogue between these art students at Emily Carr and the public. I thought the houses were terrific and I want to buy one and move to Lasqueti. The only downside was that they didn't have washrooms because I think the concept was that you would have a cluster of houses and they would share a communal washroom. So I guess I would like my house to be a bit larger than 64 square feet. And, at powerless Lasqueti, how would I heat it? These are the issues that perplex me.
I love the idea of the houses. I mean, what more do we really need? I would totally enjoy a stripped down lifestyle if I could get off the grid.
Obviously the point of these houses is not to provide whinging bitches like me with flights of escapism, but to house the homeless. And while noble and efficient and resourceful, I think if this was actually put into action you would simply end up with a smattering of shanty towns. I don't believe the homeless should be centralized: I think they need to be interspersed in our community so they can be surrounded with people from all walks of life, not just more homeless people. So people like those that live in Dunbar need to suck it up.

3 comments:

judith said...

No girl... check this out....
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ this is what everyone should be living in.

Duder said...

Ah... it all makes sense. I saw a picture of one of them on Jolea's blog. Thanks for the link: I think the whole concept is so super cool!

judith said...

We go to Ikea and dream about outfitting the Tinyhouse with tiny kitchens and living rooms. Then I go home and think how much of this Tupperware do I really need?