Monday, September 12, 2011

On setting off metal detectors because of the horseshoe situation

This weekend Michael was in the RBC Granfondo. This is a 120 kilometre ride that starts downtown Vancouver and ends up in Whistler.
I went up on the Friday night as the race is on the Saturday and I didn't want to deal with the clusterfuck that would be people trying to make their way up to Whistler with half of the highway closed on Saturday.  I entertained myself quite adeptly on Friday night, as one does, and then made it to the finish line whereupon I promptly missed Michael coming across the finish line.  God.  Damn.  It.  I hate missing him but it all works out in the great karmic sense as he missed me winning the Edge to Edge in June.
Even though I didn't see him finish it was very exciting to see all the riders coming across with huge grins on their faces after having biked for four and five hours to get up there.  Michael completed it in just over 4.5 hours which is bloody amazing considering it took me two hours to drive there in my car.
He looked and felt great afterwards and didn't even want a nap so we wandered around and - total serendipity - caught Jim Cuddy and Barney Bentall playing an impromptu concert in their biking gear since they had ridden up from Vancouver as well.  It was fucking phenomenal.  I was maybe 20 feet away from them, front of the stage and they rocked: playing some Blue Rodeo, some Barney Bentall, some Bob Dylan.  Oh my god were they good.
Relaxed a bit in the hotel and met some friends for dinner before heading over to see the free 54.40 concert which was also totally awesome.  They are so good live.  I have one of their albums and I've never been a huge fan, but seeing them live (and again, super close to the stage) was just spectacular.  I had a blast.
Went for post concert drinks with our friends, crashed at the hotel.  Had a gigantic breakfast the next morning and headed out.  Arrived home with just enough time to unpack and do some laundry and meet up with more friends for dinner.
Made myself sleep until noon today.  Yet another condo showing (still no bites) and then met a friend for dinner and illuminating conversation.
Clearly I haven't fucked up my life, which is nice.
I'm going to think less and do more.
I'm going to try and register for Boston on Wednesday.
I'm going to Europe in the spring if I have to go by my goddamned self.
The Extra Foods next to me is closed until 2013.  Still trying to get over that, but I do think I shall survive.

No comments: