Thursday, April 29, 2010

Breathe. Like it was the thing to do.

The half starts at 7am. Gotta leave by what? 6am? Find parking. I'll need to do a bag check to have warm, dry clothes for me at the finish and something to eat to tide me over as we wait for the fulls. I hate the lineups for the portapotties. I have to run 4:42 minute kilometres to pull off a PB. I ran 4:44 minute km's during the Scotiabank half, but that has a two kilometre downhill drop and, um, it doesn't have the 200 foot grind up to Prospect Point like what I'm going to have to do.
No wonder I fell off balance during yoga today.
Twice.
Whatever. I can only do what I can do and having a shit fit about it (like what I've been doing for the past couple of days) isn't going to help me.
You know what I did at work today? I calculated what my pace would have to be on the back half if I ran with the 1:45 pace bunny for the first half. Yeah. It would have to be really fucking fast.
Then I thought: maybe I will try and stick with the 1:30 pace bunny until I fall apart. Still mulling that idea over. If I can hang on up until the hill I will have nine minutes to play with over the remaining five miles.
Oh my god.
I'm such a neurotic mess.
I'm torn, though. I mean, we all can't be winners. And if you don't push yourself hard then you don't break any new ground. Going out there and "having a good time" sounds nice, but we can't have a good time all the time, can we.
Fucking Prospect Point.
Shit.
And the 7am start?
You know what? The Vancouver course is crap. They used to run the two bridges. Suck it up Vancouver. For one morning a year traffic is going to be impeded and you're going have to deal with it. Get out of your stupid car and come out and cheer like they do in New York and Boston. And I want it to start at a decent time. 8 or 8:30am. Ohhhh... no.... I don't want to be put out by some people who decide to run 42 or 21 kilometres on a Sunday.
Suck it.
I want to run the two bridges during the marathon in the future.
If Critical Mass can smoke dope and ride around naked on whatever Friday night it is every month then for god's sake, can't 20,000 people go for a collective run and have the city on their side?
Let's all get baked and run naked on Sunday.
I'll follow your lead.

1 comment:

judith said...

I agree! People should admire other people who strive to complete a marathon or a yoga pose or anything that takes their mind away from the day to day doldrums of a job or crappy life. So what if traffic comes to a dead stop for a day... it's just a day.

Hope you did well today.