Monday, February 15, 2010

Taking untoward pictures since Saturday

I made it through Valentine's Day with minimal fuss. I must say that I'm some kind of roll. Aside from flipping off every VANOC vehicle I pass, cheering when people fall during their ice-dancing routines and laughing out loud that the snow situation is abysmal at Whistler I have been pretty jubilant (manic high, much?).
Michael called me late Sunday morning and said he had not run with the clinic and wanted to run with me because it was Valentine's Day. I know, right? He normally doesn't prefer to run with me because I'm slow.
We attempted to run the two bridges (roughly 15 miles) but Michael was feeling oddly fatigued and was having some issues so we walked quite a lot. In some areas (where various Olympic celebrations were underway) we had little choice but to walk.
Anyways, what should have been a two hour run clocked in at three hours and ten minutes (though we did end up putting in 17.5 miles). Even though he was hurting it was an absolutely stellar day. The sun was shining, people were happy and Vancouver is a beautiful city to wind your way through. We saw a guy playing the steel drums in East Vancouver and a Chinese dragon celebrating the Chinese New Year in Chinatown. An eagle flew directly overhead as we were heading up to Prospect Point in Stanley Park. I jumped up and down on the Ironworkers Memorial bridge mid-span when I looked way, way out and saw the Lionsgate and then I jumped up and down on the Lionsgate when we looked up the channel and could see from whence we came.
Then we had a well deserved coffee and snack at Starbucks before limping home.
Sushi for dinner. Wasn't overly impressed with the Simpson's rendition of the Vancouver Olympics, but clearly it was penned before they were able to witness our kick ass opening ceremonies. And Vancouver didn't look like any city in the episode. I mean, at least throw in the Woodwards building or the skyline or a bridge or the mountains or something.
Michael got me a box of chocolates in an actual heart shaped box after I gave him my shabbily decorated cookies. I put the Olympic rings one one and really wobbly hearts on the others.
Now I'm housesitting in Kits, getting ready to go for dinner with Big D.
I drove in the lane designated for Olympic vehicles only on the way over here. Even though it was brief, it was pleasing.

6 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

This is fab pic!

judith said...

LOL I can see you driving in the Olympic only lane, AND flipping everyone off. Have you ever had someone pull a gun on you for doing that? (flipping off not driving in the O lane.) Or try to run you off the road and then get out to kick your butt? I have... talk about invigorating.

Duder said...

Dude! We don't have guns in Canada (in theory).
I have been in the car for some pretty dodgy moments though. Idiot drivers are universal it would seem.

Duder said...

Isn't it a fun pic? You can't pass up ops like these...

judith said...

No guns in Canada... that explains why that 'goat' doesn't have holes in it. It wouldn't have lasted 4 hours in Texas.

Pseudonym said...

You don't really look like you're enjoying it though..

Come on now, once more with the goat, with feeeeeeeling this time darling...