Wednesday, December 9, 2009

How to lose 10lbs in 3 hours and 50 minutes

There was this little kid that was handing out either water or Cytomax on the course. Like, he was three years old or something. He was really cute.
Anyways, he was standing there holding out the cup for a runner to take, but at the same time he was mesmerized by all these runners flowing past him to such an extent that he was halfway turned around as he watched them all go by.
When a runner finally did pluck the proffered glass from his hand he was so startled that I had to laugh.
God. It was a beautiful, beautiful day.
I knew I didn't have far to go but I just couldn't do it. I pulled over to the sidewalk and did calf stretches, IT band stretches, hamstring stretches. I felt better and started running again.
Then I walked. Random people on the sidewalk were talking to me now, joking with me, cajoling me. I felt stupid for wearing my Boston shirt but I also didn't care. This was shaping up to be my slowest marathon and I was just enjoying the fact that it was taking me so long. I started to want it to last. I can't explain it. It was a disaster. My hip was fucked and at mile 23 my knee started to give me problems and I was trying to make up for lost time in the hydration department by drinking at every aid station because everything was cramping, but I swear I had a shit-eating grin on my face. I was in the last stages of the worst marathon I'd ever run and I was loving every person on the sidewalk and each person that was making any modicum of effort to encourage the runners on was the coolest person I had ever met, and I was checking out everyone's shirts and trying to figure out where they were from and I was getting that whole wacky concept of camaraderie, and the person that I would pass when they were struggling would pass me five minutes later and I was cheering them on. and even though I hadn't finished the run I was already missing the idea of it and I felt bad that I wasn't hanging up my shoes with some great PB but I also didn't give a shit and then I was just wondering where the finish line was cause it wasn't where I thought it would be and so I started walking again and this woman who already had her medal was walking past me and she said it was all done and that I was there and it was over and to just keep on going because it was around the corner and so I started running again and I heard someone call my name and I looked by to see Jay and Andrea and my mom near the finish and I waved and continued on across the finish.

No comments: