Monday, May 4, 2009

I deliberately ordered beets today

I was waiting for the #50 to take me to Granville Island and there was an old couple standing near me, likely in their 70s or 80s. I noticed the woman because she had a Greek fishing hat like my dad used to wear.
Anyways, I'm getting all impatient because the bus is about 10 minutes late and then this charter bus pulls up at the curb and a passenger disembarks and lights up a cigarette and I just can't fathom how anyone smokes anymore and all the while I'm breathing in diesel fumes and second hand smoke and fuming (get it? fuming? this is why you tune in: admit it) and then the old woman goes over to a homeless guy and starts chatting with him. I vaguely wonder what it is she's telling him: get a job; Christ saves all; his luck will turn around. I don't know. She returns to the line up for the bus and the homeless guy comes trotting over. And he walks up to her and says, "This is too much" and tries to give back the money (I didn't look at the denomination, being the uptight Vancouverite intent on being apathetic that I am) and he insists that she take it back about twice. And I think, "When have I ever seen a homeless person attempt to return money to anyone?".
And I thought bless these old people who are so randomly generous, and this homeless guy that felt compelled to return the money because he thought it was too kind. A stranger, more positive transaction I'm not sure I've ever witnessed.

3 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

And this is why you are my favourite blogger cos your stories are just The Best and so well-written and I just love it all!
Thank you for sharing that brief bus stop thought process with all your rabid followers.

Margarita Mirasol said...

WTF am I doing commenting on blogs. I'm off out to seize the daze.

judith said...

M, you can't help but come in here a couple of times a day to see what the Duder has written.... It's good, it's ALL good.

Great post. I doubt if any of us will ever see this or hear of it happening again.