Sunday, January 4, 2009

Here are three weird things that have happened to me in recent days

Weird thing the first: I was reading J.D. Salinger's "Seymour: An Introduction" in bed with Michael in Penticton and, when I reached a certain part of the book which mentioned Vedanta, I turned to him to make a comment about Chekhov and W. Somerset Maugham and the trend that these writers seemed to have a leaning towards eastern philosophy. I read on for another couple of pages and then Salinger writes this: "How many stories have I torn up since I was a boy simply because they had what that old Chekhov-baiting noise Somerset Maugham calls a Beginning, a Middle, and an End?"
Weird thing the second: a friend of mine called me "girlie" today. He's called me this in the past as well. The really weird thing is that a) he would (and does) call me that and b) that's what my dad called me.
The last weird thing is that I was working on this book which is totally going to be a New York Times bestseller (to be read: hello rejection slip/email number four) and in it one of my characters is wearing a cowl necked sweater. When, sufficiently satisfied that I had made some headway on my (crap) book I closed it and logged into my Google account, I saw the word of the day was "Cowl".
Eh? Eh? So. Um, now what? Stuff like this always happens to me and I think what do I do now?
And, as an addendum? When I was looking up Salinger's book online Wikipedia said this about "The Royal Tenenbaums": "The siblings of the Tenenbaum family are all highly intelligent and disillusioned, struggling with their own identities. They are loosely based on a rabble of similarly disillusioned siblings from the later books of famed author J.D. Salinger. The Glass family, composed of seven child-prodigy-turned-adult-misanthrope characters, is the central subject of three of Salinger's four published books, and form the basis for the quirky and unhappy Tenenbaum family, as director Wes Anderson revealed in an interview with Premiere magazine conducted in January 2001."
Wes Anderson is absolutely brilliant and "Rushmore" is one of my favourite movies. And when Michael and I went to a book store today I was leafing through "Stuff White People Like" and one of the things was "Wes Anderson" and we had a right laugh about that. I also like "gentrification" and "marijuana".
Do you see? Do you see how it's all connected? Ah, gad. The world is small.

No comments: