Friday, October 10, 2008

Purgatory

I’m not sure if I’ll have a chance to blog before leaving at the bloody crack of dawn tomorrow (actually, I wonder if the sun will even be up at that point).
So this is me, two days away from my third marathon. The first one I ran I completed in 3:39:01 (qualifying me for Boston for 2 years). I did everything wrong: changed shoes at the last minute; didn’t fuel properly. I ended up with blisters. I hit the wall, bonked, fell apart, had to sit down at one point and bandage my toes while shooing away an attendant that was keenly interested in whether I was able to continue or not. And I did. And it’s my PB time so far.
Marathon number two sucked. I didn’t really like the course, I went out too fast, I drank too much water, it was warmer than I would’ve liked, I started cramping and I thought a lot about quitting. I finished in 3:43:44, missing the Boston cut off by 2 minutes 45 seconds. I know it’s still a good time, but it was still disappointing to come in slower on my second marathon when I thought I had trained harder.
This one I will go into with no expectations. I missed too many (like, almost all) of the long runs over the summer. A sub four hour marathon will be great. Secretly I am hoping for 3:40 of course, but I don’t think I have enough mileage under my belt at this point. I hope it isn’t windy, I hope it doesn’t rain, and most of all I hope Michael qualifies for Boston so we can run it together in April 2009.
I’m depressed. I’ve been down for days. It’s not overwhelming or anything; it’s just a general malaise and overall reluctance to give a shit about anything. I think going back to Lasqueti this week will give me more closure. I still have some of my dad’s ashes in my closet up there and I want to kayak out to the Finnerties to sprinkle them. That’s where we would always kayak to have lunch and poke around the islands. The last time I was up there we didn’t pull in; we just circled one of the islands and watched the wildlife before heading back.
I feel stressed and anxious as well, since my mom is moving in to her new apartment and she needs a lot done and my dad isn’t around to help her. Her stress makes me stressed out. She’s had a really tough couple of weeks. She was talking to her mother the other day and told her that she was feeling depressed and my grandmother said, “Why?”. I think that about sums it up. I feel like everyone has advanced and is going on with their lives (as they should), but that I’ve been left behind. It’s a really lonely feeling.
Anyways. Maybe this week away will be a turning point. I hope so. I’d like to feel happy and enthusiastic about life again. I’d like to feel as though I’m a part of something, instead of hovering around the periphery… waiting.
I won’t be taking my laptop, so I won’t be blogging for about a week. I’m sure I’ll have lots of stories when I get back.
They’ll be good stories.
I’ll get to the Finnerties.

3 comments:

judith said...

It's one of the hardest things you'll ever do... just reading what you are going through brings my emotions back. Good luck with your race, just stay in your zone and you'll do well.

Duder said...

Thanks very much, I appreciate the well wishes.
I hope you have an enjoyable weekend with what looks to be a full house, and that your husband starts to feel better quickly.

judith said...

Thanks, Jody is feeling shittier than ever tonight. He's such a worrier, would you believe he's worrying about if me or the kids ever had to go through treatment. Too bad he gave up drinking 27 years ago.